ZONE B SECRETARIAT
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS(NANS)
ASSOCIATION NATIONALE DES ETUDIANTE NIGERIAN
A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF NANS ZONE B SENATE MEETING HELD AT AKWA IBOM STATE POLYTECHNIC IKOT OSURUA, IKOT EKPENE LGA, AKWA IBOM STATE ON WEDNESDAY 4TH NOVEMBER 2020.
As part of activities to further strengthen the ordeals Of NANS struggle and to address issues of concern and seek possible ways to ensure Nigerian students return to class, the Senate of
NANS Zone B met and brainstorrned extensively on topical issues and finally resolved as follows;
1.0. That ASUU and Federal government should as a mater of urgency ensure cessation Of the prolonged stike which has caused the closure Of schools for more than 8 months to enable Nigerian students return back to classroom.
2.0. That Nigerian students in Zone B and her leadership frowns seriously at government’s failure to prioritize education and decried the poor funding and budgetary allocation of 11% to Education Ministry as in the 2021 submitted to the National assembly by
President Muhamrnadu Buhari.
3.0. That the Federal government should review the budgetary allocation Of the Ministry of Education and adopt the United Nations standard of 26% and as well ensure that the percentage allocation to the Ministry is released and appropriated accordingly.
4.0. That Federal government should immediately step up and improve infrastructure across campuses in the Zone to enhance effective learning.
5.0. That the Senate Of NANS Zone B and her leadership condemns in Strong terms the recent unlawful killing of peaceful protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos and calls on the Panel of enquiry to immediately fish Out those behind such inhumane and undemocratic act and
justice served accordingly while the affected families are adequately compensated.
6.0. That as part of recovery plan and as compensation for palliatives to the student’s community Federal government should waiver 2-Session school fee for all Nigerian Students In tertiary Institutions across the country.
7.0. The Senate further calls on School management to provide Covid-19 Pandemic preventive Facilities in Institutions and observe the NCDC guidelines for the safety of our students with zero charges from the students and if charged already the management should refund such money with immediate effect else we will relocate the Zonal Secretariat to such schools.
8.0. The Senate of the largest Zone appeal to landlords housing Students outside the campuses to consider Waiver a year rent to students living Outside campuses because their facilities has not been used for the past 9 month due to ASUU Strike on Federal Institutions and Covid-19 Pandemic lockdown for state owned Institutions.
9.0. That the Federal government should roll out more empowerment opportunities, open up portal for recruitment Of Youths into federal ministries, Boards and agencies to ease the unrest currently rocking country.
- The senate of NANS Zone B passed a Vote of confidence on the Universal
President of NANS, Comrade Chidi Ilogebe for his swift actions, lofty engagements and prompt response to NANS outcry and for restoring NANS back to its pride of place and urged him to pursue the struggle fiercely and restructure NANS.
- The Senate Of the largest Zone promised to mobilize her members for the upcoming National convention billed to hold from 26th -30th November at Old parade ground, Abuja for Election Of fresh national executives.
- The senate of NANS Zone B commends the Federal government on the empowerment schemes billed to be undertaken and request the Federal government to expedite actions to fully kick start the programs.
REPORTS FROM CAMPUSES
The senate Of NANS Zone B having received series Of complaints from campuses resolved as follows;
1. That the management of polytechnic Ukana, Essien Udim, Akwa lbom state should immediately review the static school fee structure and ensure a flexible pattern Of the higher a student goes the lesser the fee.
2. That the management Of Institutions across eleven states Of South-South and South-East should immediately lubricate the relationship between them and their respective student union government to ensure robust and effective collaboration.
3. That the governing board of Cross River University of Technology should immediately address the insecurity challenges facing the institution and launch proactive measures to ensure protection of lives of Nigerian students in the campus.
4. That Federal government should settle their feud with Non Academic Staff Union Of Universities in federal college of education Omoku to enable final year students do their clearance etc.
As the senate of NANS Zone B undertakes an easy but diplomatic struggle into the future, we urge the Federal government and other parties involved in the lingering challenges facing institutions Of learning in the zone and by extension the country to immediately shift ground and ensure we fall back to standard as we grow to become one of the leading light.
Comr. Sowari Dikibo
SUG president, University of Port Harcourt
Chairman, communique Drafting Committee.
Comr. Emmanuel Akpan
SUG president, University of Uyo.
Secretary, communique Drafting Committee.
Comr Uwem Etukudo
CPS to Zone B coordinator.
Member, communique Drafting Committee.
Comr. Ochuko Amiamaka
NANS JCC PRO, Enugu AXIS.
Member, communique Drafting Committee.
Comr. Rebecca David-Ekpo
SUG Treasurer, Federal Ukana.
Member, Communique Drafting Committee.